Temporary Licence- Working under Supervision
A temporary practicing licence- working under supervision membership may be issued for a limited time frame, to a:
- New graduate who has graduated from a Canadian accredited MLT program within the previous 24 months; or
- A graduate of a SSMLT approved Canadian MLT Bridging program within the previous 24 months; or
- Internationally educated MLT that has completed all requirements of the CSMLS Prior Learning assessment
To be eligible for this license category the applicant will have no MLT work experience in Canada and must be either eligible to write the CSMLS certification exam (first attempt) or have written the CSMLS certification exam (first attempt) and is awaiting results.
Remember: You cannot work as a medical laboratory technologist in Saskatchewan until you have received notice from SSMLT that your license application has been approved.
Temporary license expiration as follows:
- Registered for February CSMLS exam- license expires March 31
- Registered for June CSMLS exam- license expires July 31
- Registered for October exam- license expires November 30
1. Be eligible to work in Canada
-be a Canadian citizen; or
-be a permanent resident of Canada; or
-have authorization under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (Canada) to work in Canada
2. Meet the general requirements for membership
- language requirement
- proof of good character
- submit photo identification
3. Submit evidence of Education
- New graduate from a Canadian accredited MLT education program (degree/diploma); or
- Completed substantial equivalency via Canadian Society for Medical Laboratory Science (CSMLS) Prior Learning Assessment (PLA)
4. Received statement of eligibility to write the certification exam from CSMLS
-review sections 5 (Examinations) and 14 (Temporary Practicing) of the SSMLT regulatory bylaws for terms and limits.
5. Provide evidence of Currency of MLT Practice- if applicable (must be obtained within the previous 5 years from the date of application or renewal)
- New graduate from a Canadian accredited MLT program have 5 year to obtain; otherwise
-Submit the required (minimum 30 hours within the previous 5 years) Continuing Professional Education
-Submit required validated MLT Practice Hours (minimum of 1200 MLT practice hours within the previous 5 years)
6. Submit a signed Acknowledgement of Supervision Form
7. Upon receipt of examination results from SSMLT you must, submit to email@example.com
8. Members that are not successful on the exam attempt may be eligible for a license extension and must refer the Temporary License Flowchart for direction
How to Apply
Once you have reviewed the document checklist and have all required documents you can complete the Temporary Practicing Application Form below, remit fees and submit required documents.
- Enter all required profile information.
- Pay applicable application and registration fees.
- Enter your Practice Hours information through your "Applicant Portal"
- Enter your Continuing Education through your "Applicant Portal"
- Upload your supporting documents through your "Applicant Portal"
The on-line application will allow you to create your own login-id and password.
Username requires a minimum length of 6 characters.
Password requires a minimum length of 8 characters, must contain an uppercase letter, a lower case letter, and a digit.
These login credentials which you may reset, will allow you access to your 'Applicant Portal' where you can upload the required supporting documents. Please note that once you submit your on-line application form, your application for membership will be reviewed and will have a status of 'pending'. SSMLT staff will review your application for membership and either approve it or contact you should further information be required.
Select the application the applies to you below:
Internationally Educated MLT-non-Certified-CSMLS exam eligible and eligible to work in Canada
The above link is the email address to SSMLT office.
Submit in an email your applicable documentation indicating your eligibility to work in Canada.
Use subject line: "SSMLT application-Canadian work eligibility"
SSMLT office will review and advise you of next steps as applicable