MLT - Clinical Genetics
Students pursue post-secondary studies in medical laboratory science - usually a two or three year accredited training program at the community college or university level.
Medical laboratory technology- Genetics programs include courses in clinical Genetics
Conduct tests to analyze and diagnose abnormalities in chromosomes and DNA. Common Test : Analyze Chromosome data for the detection of syndromes (ex. Down Syndrome)
Once you've graduated from your post-secondary training you'll need to:
- Write the Canadian Society for Medical Laboratory Science (CSMLS) national certification exam to be certified. This certification allows you to work as a MLT-General throughout Canada
- CSMLS certification is required by most regulators for registration and is a requirement of employment by most employers.
- MLTs must also be licenced to practice by SSMLT to work in Saskatchewan.
MLT Clinical Genetics Program
Canadian Accredited Programs
SSMLT MLT-Clinical Genetics Licence requirements
- Complete a Canadian Accredited Clinical Genetics-MLT program to be eligible to write CSMLS National Certification exam.
- Successfully challenge the CSMLS National Certification MLT-Clinical Genetics exam.