IEMLT Information

This is an overview for Internationally Educated Medical seeking certification and licencing.

     Immigration vs. Registration

Immigration to Canada and registration with the SSMLT are two separate processes. Important: The immigration process can take a long time. If you are approved to immigrate to Saskatchewan, you must still be accepted and qualified to work as a medical laboratory technologist. Conversely, you may be qualified to work as a medical laboratory technologist in Saskatchewan but may not be eligible to immigrate.

If you are not currently residing in Canada, please read more information for Non-Residents of Canada .


To work in Saskatchewan, you must have one of the following:

  • Be a Canadian Citizen
  • Be a permanent resident of Canada
  • Have authorization to work in Canada under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act and Regulations

It is essential that you work on both the immigration and the registration processes.

Visit Government of Saskatchewan - Immigrating to Saskatchewan for more information.

Medical Laboratory Technologist Profession (MLT) in Canada

Medical Laboratory Technologists are regulated in each province in Canada except British Columbia and Prince Edward Island. Entrance requirements for each province are similar.

In Saskatchewan, the Saskatchewan Society of Medical Laboratory Technologists is the regulator.

To be licenced as a MLT in Saskatchewan you must have Canadian MLT certification or be eligible to write the CSMLS national certification exam.

SSMLT Registration

Internationally Educated MLT

MLTs formally educated and trained outside of Canada who are interested in working in Saskatchewan and who are looking to become registered with the SSMLT must first contact the Canadian Society for Medical Laboratory Science (CSMLS) at to request a Prior Learning Assessment (PLA). The PLA will establish Canadian certification equivalency in order to determine readiness to challenge the CSMLS certification examination(s).

Following completion of the PLA you may be eligible for registration with SSMLT as follows:

1. Temporary Licence-Practicing under Supervision

 Once an individual has been deemed by the CSMLS, eligible to challenge the CSMLS certification examination on the CSMLS PLA, the individual may apply for registration with the SSMLT for a Temporary Licence-Practicing under Supervision.

  • You are eligible to write the CSMLS certification exam
  • You are eligible to work in Saskatchewan.
  • Submit a New Application
  • Submit all required supporting documents

2. Practicing Licence

Once an individual has successfully completed the CSMLS PLA and has successfully challenged the CSMLS certificaton exam, the individual may be eligible for registration with the SSMLT for a Practicing Licence.
  • You are CSMLS certified (successfully challenged the CSMLS certification exam)
  • You are eligible to work in Saskatchewan.
  • Submit required information to SSMLT for review via email to subject 'Application documents for review'